Sunday, June 7, 2009

Food Bonanza...ENCORE!

Okay, yeah, maybe I'm a little bit obsessed with food. I mean, who enjoys a fantastic brunch, drives 90 minutes for shellfish and then returns home only to head out to a late dinner??

So, that said, 9:30 rolled around on Saturday evening and my friend and I headed out to Sibling Rivalry. I had been wanting to try this place out for a while mainly because of the concept...Two brothers who are chefs who have a sort of dueling menu. Each takes an ingredient or dish type and comes up with their own variation on it. The diner can choose which one they prefer and order that. It should be a restaurant that showcases the distinct styles of two chefs. Unfortunately, in my opinion, I think SR misses the mark somewhat.


We started with two appetizers...local steamers in a celery-lemon herb broth and a dish of grilled romaine and taleggio cheese bundles with tomato sauce (?) and arugula. The clams were just okay...a bit sandy and very garlicy. The best part of the dish was the toast and roasted tomato that came with it. The romaine, on the other hand, was probably one of the best texture dishes I've ever had. The "sauce" was a little bit Spaghetti-O-like but the romaine and cheese bundles were unreal. Finally, we ordered arctic char with artichokes, olives, pine nuts, haricot verts, oven dried tomatoes and garlic-basil sauce. This entree was pretty darn good. There was a spice or flavor of some sort in the dish that we could not figure out for anything but it was tasty and definitely different.

Oh, and, as a side note, their martinis are pretty darn good. The passion fruit one was tasty but definitely strong! The watermelon martini was really neat...watermelon infused vodka and chunks of fresh watermelon shaken until it became a puree. If I liked watermelon, I'd say it was awesome. As a watermelon disliker, I thought it was just good stuff.

I'm not sure I'll try Sibling Rivalry again but I was happy with my evening there, especially the texture party in my mouth at appetizer time.














No comments:

Post a Comment